Match Report: Robins’ attack back up and firing in Salford win

Category: On The Pitch

Match Report: Robins’ attack back up and firing in Salford win

Hull KR got their attack back up and firing in emphatic fashion as they ran in 7 tries to down the Salford Red Devils 43-16 in a wet and windy afternoon at Sewell Group Craven Park.

Tony Smith said in the build-up to the game the week off had done KR good and judging by the performance they handed out, he wasn’t wrong. Once the Robins gained the lead, they never looked like losing it.

It would be the Salford Red Devils that got the game underway with Marc Sneyd kicking off and Rowan Milnes taking the first drive for Hull KR.

After a tight opening ten minutes, it would be KR that had the possession and territory, keeping the Red Devils restricted to minimal metres while building plenty of pressure themselves.

That pressure would finally tell as the Robins scored first, after a solid run from the Hull KR captain Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Coote chased his own kick to claim it and score. Coote converted his try to make the score 6-0 to KR.

Hull KR would then go back to back from the kick off with Matt Parcell darting through the Red Devils’ defence to then find Coote in support who crossed over for his second of the afternoon. Coote added his second conversion to make the score 12-0 to Hull KR after the first 15 minutes.

With 20 minutes of the game gone Hull KR was looking strong in not just their attack, but in defence as well keeping Salford out after repeat sets on KR’s line.

Hull KR would then even further extend their lead with a lovely scrum play to put Ryan Hall over in the corner. Coote added the extras to give the Robins an 18-0 lead after 25 minutes.

It would be the Red Devils that hit back next though. After a sloppy offload from Parcell went to ground in-goal, Watkins was the first to respond, diving on the ball to get one back for Salford. Sneyd added the two to make the score 18-6 going into the final ten minutes of the half.

After some late pressure from the Robins, Lachlan Coote dropped over the one pointer on the hooter to make the half time score 19-6 to Hull KR.

Coote got the second half underway as KR looked to build on a very good first half.

After a tight opening first ten minutes of the second half, Hull KR struck first. An error on KR’s line by Salford resulted in the returning Mikey Lewis collecting a dropped ball and charging 70 metres upfield before spreading it out wide and Ryan Hall finishing in the corner for his second of the day. 

Coote kept his tally ticking for the day by adding the extras with help from the post The Robins lead 25-6.

Tensions rose as Dupree was sin-binned after a coming together with Minchella. 

Hull KR made the extra count with Ethan Ryan picking up a stray pass to fire through the Red Devils’ defence to score under the posts. Coote converted the try to make the score 31-6 to the Robins heading into the final 20.

KR hit Salford again with another try as a flat ball from Litten found Crooks who strolled through the defence to score another for the Robins. Coote once again converted the two to make the Robins lead now 37-6. 

Amidst the try celebrations,Salford saw another player sin-binned with Harvey Livett heading for ten minutes on the side for dissent.

Salford Red Devils were the next team to score though s Cross took in Croft’s grubber to cross the line. Sneyd converted to make the score 37-12 with less than ten minutes left.

The Red Devils response wouldn’t faze KR though as Ben Crooks claimed his second of the afternoon, charging onto the ball to breeze through the defence. Coote converted the try to make the scoreline 43-12 to the Robins with just minutes remaining.

It would be the Red Devils with the final points of the game with Lafai intercepting Mikey Lewis’ ball to then find Burgess who went over in the corner. Sneyd missed the conversion attempt to bring the scoreline to 43-16 with just a minute to go.

The whistle blew on the next set and the final score at Sewell Group Craven Park would be 43-16 to Hull KR, capping off a very good afternoon for the home side.

Big game player

With the Robins needing the win today to put the last few weeks behind them, they needed their big players to step up. One man that certainly did this was KR’s number one, Lachlan Coote. 

Coote was instrumental in everything the Robins did and racked up a very impressive 23 points which included two tries, seven goals and a drop goal. This resulted in Coote deservedly receiving Player of the Match.

Next up for the Robins

Hull KR will travel to Merseyside in their next outing as the Robins take on table-toppers St Helens. The Robins will be looking to find a way to win to continue the push to cement a playoff spot this season.

Hull KR: Lachlan Coote, Ethan Ryan, Ben Crooks, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Ryan Hall, Mikey Lewis, Rowan Milnes, Matty Storton, Matt Parcell, George King, Luis Johnson, Frankie Halton, Dean Hadley

Bench: Albert Vete, Jez Litten, Elliot Minchella, Jimmy Keinhorst

Salford Red Devils: Ryan Brierley, Ken Sio, Deon Cross, Tim Lafai, Joe Burgess, Brodie Croft, Marc Sneyd, Jack Ormonroyd, Amir Bourouh, Alex Gerrard, Harvey Livett, Kallum Watkins, Elijah Taylor

Bench: Danny Addy, Morgan Escare, Tyler Dupree, Ryan Lannon

Back To Latest News +

Principal Partners

Platinum Partners

Associate Partners

Official Partners